This is what the LORD Almighty says: “These people say, ‘The time has not yet come for the LORD’s house to be built.’ “. Then the word of the LORD came through the prophet Haggai: ” Hag 1:2-4
People started to built the temple of God when they were freed from captivity. (we too when was freed from sins started to built the temple of God, 1 Cor 6:19 know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?)
In 538 b.c. the conqueror of Babylon, Cyrus king of Persia, issued a decree allowing the Jews to return to Jerusalem and rebuild the temple (see Ezr 1:2–4; 6:3–5). Led by Zerubbabel (but see note on Ezr 1:8, “Sheshbazzar”), about 50,000 Jews journeyed home and began work on the temple. About two years later (536) they completed the foundation amid great rejoicing (Ezr 3:8–11).
Their success aroused the Samaritans and other neighbors who feared the political and religious implications of a rebuilt temple in a thriving Jewish state. But opposition came and they stopped building the temple. That too for 16 years, although opposition was over people never bothered to rebuilt the temple. Hag 1:4 “Is it a time for you yourselves to be living in your paneled houses, while this house remains a ruin?
They therefore opposed the project vigorously and managed to halt work until 520, after Darius the Great became king of Persia in 522 (Ezr 4:1–5,24). Lord sends prophets Haggai and Zechariah they encouraged to restart the work, under the governor Zerubabbel they restarted along with Joshua High Priest and completed the building of temple and Lord blessed the temple.
Result of Delay
Expected much, but see, it turned out to be little. What you brought home, I blew away. Why?” declares the LORD Almighty. “Because of my house, which remains a ruin, while each of you is busy with his own house. Hag 1:6
Why are you so self centered? Why you are not burdened for lost souls?
1. Examine: Check if we have given more importance to your things than the thing of God. Now this is what the LORD Almighty says: “Give careful thought to your ways Hag 1:5
2. Take a Step: Confess the past now decide to live for God and take a step to work for His kingdom. Go up into the mountains and bring down timber and build the house Hag 1:7
3. Receive the Promise: Claim the word and believe the Lord is with us. “I am with you,” declares the LORD Hag 1:13
4. Be Anointed: Ask for a massive anointing “the LORD stirred up the spirit Hag 1:14
5. ‘Be strong: Hag 2:4, be courageous and fear God alone and not the situation.
6. Expect Great Things: Lord promised to bless when we take a step. I will once more shake the heavens Hag 2:6
7. Experience Great: Glory comes from Lord alone. ‘The glory of this present house will be greater than the glory of the former house,’ says the LORD Almighty Hag 1:7
Lord; give me burden for lost soul. Take away the self centered attitude of mine. Amen.