Do not fear or be dismayed because of this great multitude, for the battle is not yours but God’s. 2 Chro 20 :15
Jehoshaphat fourth king of Judah, Judah was a small kingdom of just two tribes of Judah and Benjamin. Kings of Ammon, Moab and Edom came together and were coming towards Judah to attack, enemies were outnumbering them and too strong. They had no hope, Jehoshaphat turned His attention to God and fasted as a nation, prayed publicly and the spirit of the Lord came down on one of them and confirmed the battle belongs to the Lord, they trusted this promise and went to the battle field singing and praising, when they sang, Lord set a confusion in the enemy camp and they started to fight against each other and killed each other. All this happened as a result of a public prayer Jehoshaphat made from verse 6 -12. Let us also follow this pattern.
1. He started by describing the greatness of God. When you do that in spiritual realm we also be a part of that greatness . 2 Chronicles 20 : 6 and he said, …. Power and might are in Your hand so that no one can stand against You.
2. He spoke out the great things what the Lord has done in the past. It drives out fear of the current situation and fills our heart with gratitude. 2 Chronicles 20 : 7 “Did You not, O our God, drive out the inhabitants of this land before Your people Israel and give it to the descendants of Abraham Your friend forever?
3. He confesses what the Lord will do. Speak out in faith what the Lord will do, see it with spiritual eyes 2 Chronicles 20 : 8″… cry to You in our distress, and You will hear and deliver us.’
4. He clearly stated the problem. Be careful on praying specifically, word says you did not get it as you did not ask for it. 2 Chronicles 20 : 10 “Now behold, the sons of Ammon and Moab and Mount Seir, …see how they are rewarding us by coming to drive us out …
5. He stated his weakness, helplessness and fears. Do not pretend that you are ok. 2 Chronicles 20 : 12 “… For we are powerless before this great multitude who are coming against us; nor do we know what to do, but our eyes are on You.”
Lord help me to practice and pray in this pattern. Amen